Grow Leader Course at Feed Bristol (with deposit)
22 March 2018, 09:00 (Add to calendar)
Every other Thursday starting, 22/03/2018 - 9:00am - 4:30pm
The Grow Leader course aims to support more people to become effective facilitators to engage a range of people in ecological land management and food growing. The course focuses on developing projects and activities where people and wildlife can thrive in a productive food growing setting.
The aim of the course is to train and give people practical experience in community engagement, teaching skills, occupational health and therapeutic horticulture. All based around small scale market gardening and agri-ecological systems at Feed Bristol.
Aims and objectives:
- Deliver a hands-on practical course with lots of tools and techniques that can be directly applied to land based projects with a holistic approach to engaging people in an ecologically productive setting
- To increase skills and understanding in organic food growing, wildlife conservation, social care and ecological land management
- To enable participants to take the lead in planning and delivering practical activities with a wide range of target groups with different needs
- To give people tools to become an effective and engaging facilitator or tutor
- To increase confidence in larger scale garden planning and ecological land management
- To enable participants to write necessary policies, risk assessments and activity plans
- Employees working on community projects from support assistants and project officers to project managers (course structured to engage a range of levels)
- Volunteers in existing projects looking to progress by demonstrating practical management techniques, facilitator skills and self-reflective learning
- People interested in starting a new wildlife gardening or food growing project
- People looking for an inspirational change career
The three core themes will be delivered over 12 sessions:
- Food Growing
- Community Engagement
- Ecology and conservation.
All are interlinked with a holistic approach to community agro-ecology project management. Each includes the core principles of planning/management/review, how to be an effective tutor, and working with a range of people with different needs.
Each day is split between theory and hands on practicals, where we explore the inspirational site. Once into the swing of things students will be expected to develop and deliver practical sessions.
We give you access to our course Google Drive and Grow Leader forum. This is so you can start to network as well as share knowledge and experience with a range of people that have been on other courses at Feed Bristol.
This is non accredited course but it is formally structured and you will receive an official Avon Wildlife Trust Certificate on completion.
12 full day sessions (9.00 – 4.30), every Thursday.
Thursday 22 March; Thursday 29 March; Thursday 5 April; Thursday 12 April; Thursday 19 April; Thursday 26 April; Thursday 3 May; Thursday 10 May; Thursday 17 May; Thursday 24 May; Thursday 31 May; Thursday 7 June.
There are 18 places on the course available.
Please be aware that this course is extremely popular. Book now to avoid disappointment.
We offer tiered pricing but please note that different tiers have limited places to enable us to run the course – if lower levels are full you may be able to go for the higher tier.
Grow Leader Placement
We are looking to recruit 6 Volunteer Grow Leaders. Grow leader placements form part of Feed Bristol's core crew. They are formal positions which require you to be able to commit to two days per week for nine months.
Developing skills in our Grow Leader team and giving people meaningful work experience forms the backbone of this inspirational community project. This enables us to engage with a broad range of community groups to demonstrate social impact and drive the project’s vision forward to become a centre of excellence that champions ecology and food growing. In the first three years we supported more than 40 people into employment through this process.
All volunteer Grow Leader Placements receive a free place on the Grow Leader Course.
Placement start date: Monday 12 February, 2018 (2 days per week, variable days)
Course start: Thursday 22 March, 2018 (Every Thursday)
Deadline for applications: Monday 29 January, 2018
Click here to download the Grow Leader Placement role description including details of how to apply or email firstname.lastname@example.org